Best Odds Center
best odds centre button
Click here!
Sport TV
watch live tv button
Click here!
to watch
Live FootBall
NPFL
Click here!
Live Scores
play watch Live Score button
Click here!

Sabalenka Cruises Into Cincinnati Fourth Round as Medvedev Suffers Shock Defeat

Posted : 19 August 2026

World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka delivered a dominant performance to reach the Cincinnati Open fourth round, while Daniil Medvedev suffered a dramatic upset against Brandon Nakashima.

Sabalenka needed only 54 minutes to defeat China’s Wang Xinyu 6-1, 6-3. The Belarusian was in complete control throughout, never facing a break point and producing 17 winners against just five unforced errors.

The 28-year-old also dropped only six points across eight service games, underlining the quality of her display. The victory provided a welcome boost after her fourth-round exit at Wimbledon and an early departure in Canada last week.

Sabalenka said she was delighted to complete the match in less than an hour, crediting her willingness to trust her shots and avoid overthinking during the contest.

The two-time defending US Open champion will now meet Czech player Sara Bejlek for a place in the quarterfinals. Bejlek advanced after defeating 16th seed Ekaterina Alexandrova in three sets.

Sabalenka is also protecting her position at the top of the WTA rankings, with Australian Open champion Elena Rybakina among those capable of overtaking her in Cincinnati. The battle for No. 1 adds further significance to the tournament ahead of the US Open, which begins on August 30.

Meanwhile, Medvedev endured one of the most frustrating defeats of his season. The fourth seed appeared to be in control against Nakashima after recovering from 5-2 down in the opening set and winning the ensuing tie-break.

The American then saved three match points while serving at 4-5 in the second set. Nakashima eventually forced another tie-break, won it 7-4 and surged through the deciding set 6-1 to complete a 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 6-1 victory.

Medvedev's frustration boiled over after the missed opportunities. He threw his racket toward the electronic boards, kicked the screen and knocked over microphones during an angry reaction.

Nakashima, who had recently reached his first Masters 1000 final in Montreal, said he focused on staying competitive after saving the match points. His victory was his first against Medvedev in four meetings and continued his impressive hard-court form.

ADD A COMMENT :

Hot Topics

close button
Please fill captcha :