Best Odds Center
best odds centre button
Click here!
Live Sport
watch live tv button
Click here!
to watch
Click here!
Live Scores
play watch Live Score button
Click here!

Turkish Football plunged into crisis as referee assault prompts indefinite suspension

Posted : 12 December 2023

In Turkey, pandemonium erupted as chaos unfolded on the football pitch, leaving the entire nation stunned. The Super Lig was thrust into an indefinite suspension after a shocking incident where referee Halil Umut Meler became the victim of a violent assault by MKE Ankaragucu president Faruk Koca.


The volatile situation transpired following Ankaragucu's 97th-minute concession of an equalizer in a contentious 1-1 draw against Caykur Rizespor. Koca, fueled by frustration, rushed onto the field and delivered a forceful blow that sent Meler sprawling to the ground, an act condemned as "inhumane and despicable" by the Turkish Football Federation.


As Meler lay vulnerable on the pitch, others joined in the assault, adding kicks to the defenseless referee. The reprehensible attack prompted a swift response from the football authorities, who expressed deep concern for Meler's well-being.


The Turkish Football Federation issued a stern statement, deploring the incident and vowing to pursue severe consequences for all involved. The reprehensible assault was characterized as a broader issue, implicating those who have targeted referees with irresponsible statements, thus contributing to an atmosphere that enabled such a vile attack.


In the aftermath, the Turkish Football Federation Board of Directors made a decisive move by postponing matches across all leagues indefinitely. Meler, a respected referee who had officiated in three Champions League matches during the season, was promptly taken to the hospital.


Fortunately, the chief physician reported no life-threatening injuries at the moment, detailing bleeding around Meler's left eye and a small fracture. The hospital will continue monitoring his condition, with plans to discharge him after thorough examinations. Meanwhile, Koca, the instigator of the assault, found himself in the hospital under the watchful eyes of security forces, while others implicated in the incident faced arrests.


Amidst the turmoil, Turkey's president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, condemned the attack, emphasizing that violence has no place in sports. Erdogan, echoing a sentiment of unity and peace through sports, pledged to prevent such acts of violence from tarnishing Turkish sports.


Ankaragucu, in a statement of apology, expressed deep regret for the incident, extending apologies to the Turkish football public and the broader sports community for the unfortunate events that marred the match at Eryaman Stadium. The incident serves as a stark reminder of the need for collective efforts to safeguard the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play within the realm of Turkish football.


Hot Topics

close button
Please fill captcha :