Nigeria’s football administration has come under renewed scrutiny following the disclosure that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating the utilisation of a N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
The fund was released to address outstanding financial obligations involving players, coaches and national teams, and the development has triggered fresh questions about the management of public resources within Nigerian football.
The investigation was disclosed by the NFF in a response to a Freedom of Information request seeking access to financial records and utilisation logs relating to the intervention fund.
In a letter dated August 18, 2026, and signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said it could not provide the requested documents because the matter was already being investigated by the two anti-corruption agencies.
The letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke, stated that the documents relating to the request were currently with the EFCC and ICPC.
The NFF’s response did not specify the particular transactions or expenditures that triggered the investigations, nor did it identify any officials or individuals being investigated.
It also did not indicate when the probes commenced or whether any NFF officials had been invited or questioned by the agencies.
The development places the federation’s handling of the intervention fund under increased public scrutiny, particularly given the stated purpose of the money to clear outstanding obligations to national-team players, coaches and officials.
The N12 billion intervention was part of a Federal Government effort announced in January 2024 to settle accumulated financial obligations to Nigeria’s national teams. At the time, the Presidency said the payment covered up to 15 months of outstanding salaries for senior national-team coaches, as well as allowances and other obligations involving the senior men’s, women’s and Under-20 teams.
Reports have also emerged that a substantial portion of the fund was used to settle hotel accommodation expenses incurred by players and teams, although the NFF’s latest letter did not provide a detailed breakdown of the expenditure.
The latest development comes at a sensitive period for Nigerian football, with the administration of NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau facing increasing scrutiny over the direction and management of the sport.
On Tuesday, reports also emerged that the NFF had written to world football governing body FIFA over alleged plans by the Nigerian government to establish an interim committee to oversee the federation and halt the planned NFF election.
The reported move followed concerns over the Super Falcons’ failure to qualify for the next Women’s World Cup, although the precise status and implications of the reported government proposal remain subject to clarification.
The EFCC and ICPC probes therefore add another significant dimension to the growing debate over accountability, transparency and financial management in Nigerian football.
For now, however, the NFF has not been accused of wrongdoing by either agency in the information made public. The fact that the financial records are under investigation means that the precise nature of any suspected irregularities, if established, will depend on the outcome of the ongoing inquiries.
As the probes continue, attention will be focused on the two anti-corruption agencies for clarification on the scope of their investigations and, ultimately, their findings on how the N12 billion intervention fund was utilised.
ADD A COMMENT :