Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe has vowed the club will avoid making “poor” transfer decisions as speculation over Alexander Isak’s future intensifies. The situation has developed further with the imminent arrival of Nick Woltemade, the German international striker who is close to sealing a club-record £65 million transfer from Stuttgart.
The 23-year-old’s move to St James’ Park could allow Newcastle to sanction Isak’s desired transfer to Liverpool, who are preparing an improved offer after seeing an initial £110 million bid rejected.
For the first time on Friday, Howe admitted he may reluctantly accept Isak’s departure, acknowledging the financial realities posed by the Premier League’s Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR). Isak, who played a crucial role in firing Newcastle to Champions League qualification and a League Cup triumph last season, has been training alone since making clear his intention to move to Anfield.
Speaking to reporters, Howe explained:
“Of course, I would have a preference, but ultimately you have to look at all the information. I can’t just be emotionally involved, because if you are, you’re going to make a bad decision. I’ll let everything take its course and deal with the outcome.”
Newcastle were previously forced to sell Elliot Anderson and Yankuba Minteh to avoid sanctions, and Howe admitted a significant sale, such as Isak’s, could ease financial pressures.
“I’ve said many times we don’t want to be in a position where we’re forced into poor decisions. PSR continues to shape everything we do, but we cannot afford to be chasing deficits,” he said.
Meanwhile, West Ham United have bolstered their midfield with the signing of Mateus Fernandes from Southampton. The 21-year-old Portuguese Under-21 international has joined on a five-year deal worth over £40 million, becoming one of the Hammers’ biggest signings of the summer.
Fernandes, who endured a challenging Premier League debut campaign as Southampton were relegated last season, expressed excitement about his move:
“I’m very happy to be here. It’s a big step for me, and I want to enjoy football while helping the team. The stadium, the city, the project—it’s all exciting, and I want to give everything every day.”
West Ham manager Graham Potter hailed the midfielder’s arrival as a key addition to the squad.
“Mateus is a young player with impressive progress early in his career. He brings qualities that add a new dimension to our team, and his maturity for someone so young is remarkable. We’re delighted to bring him in, and he can’t wait to get started,” Potter said.
The Hammers, currently bottom of the Premier League after two defeats and a League Cup exit, hope Fernandes’ arrival can help turn around their difficult start to the season.
ADD A COMMENT :